Not all those who wander are lost.
This is one of my favourite quotes from one of my favourite authors J.R.R Tolkien. You can interpret it any way you like, but for me this quote tells us the importance of travelling in a magnificent way. There is a vast world around us, which is calling you to come and explore it. How can you know that and still ignore it? Be it your village, or a place outside your city, or to a whole other country- travelling is undoubtedly the most ideal way to spend your vacation. After all, we all deserve a break sometimes.
No matter where you are travelling, there are some things you need to keep in mind. For those who don’t travel often, it can become quite a hassle to figure out where to start the preparation from. Here are a few tips that may help you along with the process.
- Travel light: This is the most crucial point of packing. Make sure you take only the necessary belongings with you. This will come in handy when you’re tired from a long journey and don’t have to be bogged down with heavy baggage.
- Charge all your electronics: If you are going to be on the road for a particularly long period of time or if you have a tight schedule, do not forget to charge all your electronics beforehand.
- Plan ahead: You have to focus on this point especially if you are going to someplace completely new. Make an itinerary and try your best to stick to it. Plan the tour according to your preference ( i.e. if you are a nature lover, search for places that satisfies your need.)
- Shop smartly: Make sure to buy things that are not easily available in your home-town a.k.a mementos. Otherwise you’re just wasting money and your precious time for nothing. Moreover, you have to keep the fact in mind that you have to carry it all back.
- Try the local cuisine: If you go to another country, one of the things you should never miss out on is the local cuisine. Your taste buds may not be acclimatized to it, but if you want to embrace the culture, do give it a try.
- Avoid invitations: This is applicable if you are travelling abroad. Speaking as a Bengali, we all have relatives in different parts of the world and who are very eager to have you over for dinner. It will just waste your precious time which you can spend doing something fun. Trust me.
- Don’t Over think: The common mistake that almost everyone makes while travelling is over think. If you want to buy that purse, go ahead. Think that pair of shoes will look good on your feet? Buy it. Always wanted to try paragliding? This might be your only chance to do it. Stop thinking too much and get to it.
- Don’t be disrespectful: Make sure you are aware of the traditional norms of the country you’re visiting. Do not be disrespectful to their beliefs or their culture.
- Don’t be unprepared: Take your necessary medications with you. Always check the weather before you go out. Save emergency contacts in your phone. Be prepared.
Travelling is a luxury most of us cannot afford, be it for the lack of time or financial issues. But if you’re lucky enough to actually pull off a trip, make sure it’s worth remembering. Happy travelling!