Why spend hundreds on expensive store bought sauces when you can make your own at home with ingredients available at your nearby supermarket? Try this delicious homemade sauce which is very easy to make and tastes just as good as the store bought ones. The best part is it takes only 10 minutes to prepare (if you omit the boiling time of tomatoes) and you will know you are not eating preservatives.
3 medium sized or 4-5 small tomatoes
1 tablespoon oil
¼ teaspoon chili flakes
½ teaspoon oregano
½ teaspoon rosemary
¼ teaspoon thyme
½ teaspoon crushed black pepper
1 teaspoon salt (or according to taste)
2 cloves of garlic
½ tablespoon tomato ketchup
**1 teaspoon sugar
1. Boil the tomatoes until the skin starts to peel off.
2. Remove the skin and blend it to make a puree.
3. Heat the oil in a saucepan and add the garlic. Cook for about a minute or so.
4. Add the tomato puree and let it simmer for one minute.
5. Add in the ketchup, salt, sugar and the rest of the ingredients and stir to combine.
6. Keeping the heat low, over the pan and allow the sauce to reduce for a few minutes.
7. Take it off of the heat when it reaches your desired consistency.
NOTE: *Instead of chili flakes you can use red chili powder or paprika. Vary the amount as per your liking. Start by adding less.
**I have used brown sugar here. If you are using white sugar then add ½ teaspoon first then add more if necessary.
You can replace the oregano, rosemary and thyme with a teaspoon of Italian seasoning or pizza seasoning. Then the amount of salt will also vary depending on the amount of salt already present in the seasoning.
Keep the flame low at all times because you don’t want your garlic to burn or your sauce to over-reduce.
There is never any fixed rule when you are cooking. Use whatever you like or anything which is available to you. You can add a teaspoon of dried basil or use fresh basil leaves, omit the thyme, vary the amounts of ingredients as suits your tongue best. This for me is the perfect recipe for my pizza sauce. Enjoy!